Sorrento is a popular tourist destination on the Mornington Peninsula, located between the neighbouring communities of Portsea and Blairgowrie.
Like its neighbours, Sorrento is situated on a thin strip of the Mornington Peninsula, facing Port Phillip Bay in the north and the open waters of Bass Strait in the south.
The crescent-shaped Sorrento Front Beach is flanked by an attractive foreshore area featuring lawns, shelters and English trees, plus a couple of small jetties. At Policemans Point is the Sorrento Pier which is used by a passenger and car ferry which links Sorrento toQueenscliff on the Bellarine Peninsula.
The main point of access to Sorrento’s ocean beach is at the end of Ocean Beach Road. There is a kiosk, lookouts and several scenic walking tracks along the foreshore and into the surrounding hills.
Sorrento’s commercial centre is located at the bay end of Ocean Beach Road. This attractive boulevard features a variety of shops, restaurants and cafes with its major landmark being the multi-storey Continental Hotel which was built out of limestone in 1875. Other nearby historic hotels include Hotel Sorrento (1871) and Koonya (1878).
Sorrento was the site of Victoria’s first official settlement which occurred in 1803 at Eastern Sister. This point is at the southern end of Sorrento’s bay coastline where there is a monument honouring this historic event. An elevated coastal walkway leads to a couple of lookouts which provide scenic views across beach and bay.
At the northern end of Sorrento’s bay coastline is Point King where Lieutenant Murray, on his exploration of Port Phillip Bay, raised the Union Jack and claimed the land for the British. There is a monument to commemorate this event and a scenic coastal track from which splendid views along the coast in all directions can be enjoyed.
2018 MEDIAN HOUSE PRICE – $1,275,000 approx. (source: Corelogic)
- The size of Sorrento is approximately 7 square kilometres.
- It has 8 parks covering nearly 19.9% of total area.
- The population of Sorrento in 2011 was 1,447 people.
- By 2016 the population was 1,596 showing a population growth of 10.3% in the area during that time.
- The predominant age group in Sorrento is 60-69 years.
- Households in Sorrento are primarily childless couples.
- In general, people in Sorrento work in a professional occupation.
- In 2011, 81.1% of the homes in Sorrento were owner-occupied compared with 82.2% in 2016.